John & Eriko Houlette, Three Streams Ministry
HH at a Glance
- Kazumichi kun was baptized on February 19th at Hokushin Calvary Church! He gave a powerful testimony which was a great encouragement to his parents and the church.
- Nearly 40 individuals from across Japan attended the Third Disaster Response Chaplaincy Training Course in Ichikawa city, near Tokyo. Topics dealt with emotional loss, post-traumatic growth, the cycle of grace and emotional care.
- I leave today for Kumamoto through Friday to lead a seminar on reflective listening and coach the Kyushu Christian Disaster Response Center staff. I would appreciate your prayers.
- I visited Nishitama Baptist church in Tachikawa city in Tokyo on February 26th. This is the church Eriko and I started in 1986. They are partnering with Wheelchairs of Hope to refurbish wheelchairs to send to other countries in Asia. The ministry has brought new people to the church.
- We will be on a short home assignment 7/10-9/18, and are in need of a car during that time. We will be based in Northern California. Please let us know if you might have a car that we could rent or borrow.
The Wonder of Growth
“So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.”
1 Corinthians 3:7 ESV
Growth is amazing. No, God is. I am often joyfully overwhelmed at how ministry occurs and fruit blossoms. Let me explain. In the last four months two believers were baptized at a church in Fukushima while its pastor was on sabbatical. A small church in Tokyo blesses many in Southeast Asia by refurbishing wheelchairs. A mentee of mine who graduated from Bible college the day before the Great East Japan Triple Disaster will be ordained as a pastor in Fukushima March 20th. I am on his ordination council. A young church planter who lost his home last year after the Kumamoto earthquake is rejoicing that his church will be able to move into its own building this year. South Asia pastors were greatly encouraged by my seminar on self-care and spiritual formation. Twenty-one leaders continue to attend Sendai Baptist Seminary classes growing in intimacy with Christ, self care and leadership skills.
Praise be to God. He is not done growing people, churches and leaders!
MINISTRY OF PRAYER
- For Hokushin Calvary Church in Fukushima and theirpastor Masanori Kuba who is on a sabbatical. He plans to preach once a month starting from Easter Sunday
- For Eriko as she cares for her mother who is livingwith us, teaches Japanese and begins to write up her research findings.
- For ongoing teaching,mentoring, coaching and counseling opportunities.
- For wisdom on how to provide emotional care for care givers in Kumamoto.
- For our Home assignment starting in July.