Craig and Cynthia Davis, WorldVenture
We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.
Following the Lord’s Direction & Timing
Three months ago we sent you a ministry update with several important dates and scenarios as we saw them at the time. Many things have changed since then! We will not be leaving France the week of June 5th, we will not be flying to Portland, Oregon and we will not be buying a car there to drive to California. As Proverbs 16:9 says, “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.” We are daily experiencing the truth of this verse.
The one thing that has modified our plans has been the delay in selling our apartment in Torcy, France. However, it looks as if we will be signing a sales agreement on Friday, June 2nd! If there are not any problems, the final sale papers could be signed two to three months later. We will not be required to stay around until the very end, but we could probably leave France sometime in July.
We have started the rather arduous task of saying goodbye to hundreds of people who we have gotten to know over our 35 years of ministry in France. We recently had a very moving time with our home church in Torcy, and another farewell ceremony with our friends and colleagues in the different churches in the Paris area.
The End of an Era?
This week was my last official time of training musicians on guitar and piano to play with worship teams in their local churches. When we arrived in France in the 1980’s, there was a very real dearth of capable musicians to lead our churches in worship. However over the last thirty years we have seen God faithfully develop a network of competent musicians to praise him and to bring people to a saving relationship with him through faith in Jesus Christ. Cynthia and I certainly do not want to see this development slow down after our departure.
What can be done? What should be done? Maybe you know someone who could continue this important ministry in France. We are looking for someone who desires to be involved in transforming lives of young musicians in France, someone who could pour his or her life into the lives of others, and someone who would love to see the evangelical church in France become even more dynamic worshipping body. If you know such a person, could you challenge them to contact WorldVenture to explore how God could use them in France? They could also contact me directly by e-mail to start a dialogue. Thanks.
- Psalm 37:23 says, “The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.” Pray that we will continue to follow the Lord’s direction in all the different decisions that will need to be made in the coming months.
- Pray that we will be able to sign the preliminary sales agreement for our apartment on June 2nd.
- Pray for the continued spiritual and numerical growth of the Torcy church. There is an important evangelistic campaign scheduled in early July. Pray for good contacts and real conversions.
- Pray that we will finish well in France.
- Pray for someone to continue training musicians for our churches and bringing non-believers to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.
- Pray for a mutually encouraging time with our ministry partners until the end of December 2017. On January 1st, 2018 we will officially retire from WorldVenture!