Bridges Community Church was originally founded as Grace Bible Chapel in 1940 with Rupert Peterson as the founding pastor, for the purpose of reaching people in the community with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
In 1947 the church was incorporated and the name changed to First Baptist Church of Los Altos.
In 1965 we moved and held our first service at the current location.
In 2010 we changed our name to Bridges Community Church.
The church has been served by a number of fine pastors through its history. These men are:
- Pastor Rupert Peterson – 1940
- Pastor Max Weniger – 1950
- Pastor Ralph Kraft – 1961
- Pastor Art Cotant – 1987
- Pastor Mark Lauterbach – 1998
- Pastor Randy Wilson – 2001
- Pastor Dave Gudgel – 2010 (current lead pastor)
Over the years we have helped with three new church plants:
- Westgate Church on Saratoga Avenue in San Jose.
- The HighWay Community , meeting in Palo Alto High School facilities.
- Faith in Grace Bible Church , (Mandarin-speaking) in Mountain View.
- Current SV, in Mountain View.
Throughout its history Bridges Community Church has faithfully placed the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word at the center of all its teaching, programs, and service. Its ministries have reached out into the community. Its greatest strengths have been a vital Christian education program for all ages, a relevant preaching ministry, and a broad music program.
Bridges Community Church has had a rich history of faithfulness and impact. God has uniquely blessed this church and its work. The potential for growth in numbers, influence, effectiveness, and service is high and is firmly rooted in a half century of service to the Lord.